Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Veggies get upgraded

Now that my plants are growing and competing for space and sunlight, I decided to give them an upgrade.  I went to Lowes yesterday and bought a new shelf bracket, some screws, and a 10-foot board.  It was verrry interesting getting a 10-foot board home in my tiny Honda Civic.  They look sooo much better all spaced out, though!  Here's the setup now:


They're all in the same order.  Zucchini on the left, then the jalapenos, the 2 bell peppers, the 2 Roma tomatoes, and the cherry tomato on the right side.  The zucchini is gettin' SERIOUS.  I set my alarm for 7 this morning so I could go out and see the flower open and it was bigger and more beautiful than I expected!



That was definitely worth waking up early!  I went right back to bed after I got these pictures, though.  :)

The flower is beautiful for sure, but I'm concerned that I only see one female flower.  I see tons of skinny little stems, but only one thick stem that will obviously turn into a zucchini.  Here it is:


What am I going to do with only ONE zucchini?!  I hope more start growing...

The jalapenos are growing like crazy, though:


And here's one of the Roma tomatoes.  You can also see the weird "pimples" on the stalk, but I'm assuming that's normal.  I think I read that those are new roots trying to sprout.


Some of the plants aren't showing any signs of fruit yet, but there are some more little flowers and buds popping up.  But the zucchini is a confusing and mysterious plant.

2 comments:

  1. They look so good! What are you feeding them?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feed them Miracle Gro Tomato Plant Food. And I use the Bloom Booster food for the flowers. I'm still trying to find the right proportion to use in the water, but I've been feeding them every 3 days.

    ReplyDelete