Friday, August 31, 2012

Oh, Zucchini... how you disappoint me...

When I first got my plants a month ago, I was the most excited about the zucchini.  I love zucchini and it's one of my go-to additions to a lot of the meals I make.  So being able to grow my own seemed so amazing!  However, this excitement brought much disappointment.  My zucchini plant has been deteriorating over the past couple weeks and almost every leaf has now been taken over by a powdery mildew and it is literally covered in little white spots.


Many of the leaves in the back have turned yellow and I've had to trim them off, and the rest are quickly being taken over by these sick spots.  This wouldn't be so bad if I was at least still getting healthy zucchini.  But every time I get a female flower that produces at beautiful little baby zucchini, the blossom refuses to open and it shrivels up and dies.  I've been hesitant to just rip it open and pollinate it myself.  I thought that forcing it open would damage it, but I guess at this point, there's not much to lose.  I don't want to just junk the entire plant yet, especially since it's not infecting any of my other plants.  I have a couple good baby zucchinis still waiting to be pollinated, so I guess I'll get up early tomorrow and see if I can pull those female blossoms open a bit and keep them from shriveling up yet again.  Oh, zucchini... why must you be so delicious to eat yet so difficult to grow?

No comments:

Post a Comment