Friday, August 31, 2012

A Month Makes a Huge Difference

Speaking of growing like crazy, let me remind you how my plants looked on that first day when I brought them home (July 29):


Now look at how big they are a month later! (Aug. 28) 


This process has been so amazing.  They all grow at different rates and go through different life cycles, but every little bud that pops up and every baby fruit that starts growing is equally exciting!  Growing on a smaller scale like this, where I can go out a couple times every day and closely examine every single plant, has been especially amazing, too, because I get to see how fast they change from each hour of the day.  I go out in the morning, and sometimes I spend half an hour picking caterpillars off my tomato plants, trying to spare the little spiders that have made webs there.  I can't even keep up with all the jalapenos popping up!  I go out midday sometimes and find that my zucchini plant is super-droopy, so I give it a little bit more water, and within minutes, all the stems and leaves have popped back up and look happy again (despite its sick spots).  I can see all the little holes from the caterpillars and aphids, and I see the harmless little ants crawling all over the place, but every single plant has been producing fruit - though few have matured enough to pick yet.  The only thing I've been able to pick so far is the jalapeno plant.  I made the mistake of trying a bite of one of the fresh jalapenos, though.  I crunched down only once and had to immediately spit it out!  From one bite, that I didn't even chew or swallow, my mouth burned for half an hour.  Fresh jalapenos are no joke.

Besides the helpful little spiders, the only other insects I like seeing out near my plants are the bumblebees!  Look at his cute little fuzzy body!


Except the other thing with a cute little fuzzy body (my dog Paisley), got curious about what I was taking a picture of, so she ran over and stuck her face right on the bumblebee!  Luckily she didn't get stung, but she did freak it out and it flew away.  She's not the best gardening helper.  Here's that little stinker "helping" with my plants:


And one more just for laughs:


No comments:

Post a Comment