Friday, August 10, 2012

The plants know what they're doing, even if I don't

I went out this morning to water my plants and made some surprising discoveries.  For one thing, I noticed that a ton of tiny, new buds had sprouted on my jalapeno plant!  They're very little and cute, and I'm excited that I'm going to get a bunch of jalapenos growing soon!



Here's a better picture of the 2 main jalapenos that I've already posted about:


So the jalapenos sprouting were a good discovery, but I was really surprised when the biggest bell pepper bud I've been watching turned into a flower!  I definitely thought it was a baby bell pepper, but really it was a beautiful flower!


The discovery of this flower has shown me that I still have a lot to learn about the growth stages of these vegetables.  One stage that I did know about ahead of time has to do with my zucchini plant.  The amazing golden blossom that I got up early to take pictures of just a couple days ago has fallen off the plant!  I read from a couple sources that one day you walk out to check on your zucchini plant and it looks like someone has snuck into your garden and snipped all your blossoms clean off the stem!  It really does look like that, too.


It was hard for my camera to focus on the stem, but you can definitely see how clean of a "cut" there is on the stem where the golden blossom used to be.  I expect more of this in the next few days since I have at least a couple more flowers that have gotten to the golden stage.  I also read that it is normal for there to be a bunch more male flowers than female flowers on a zucchini plant, so here's my single zucchini:


It looks just like an itty bitty version of the kind I see in the grocery store!  I reeeeeally want more to start growing!  I LOVE zucchini (the child in me is disgusted at that thought, but the adult in me has grown to love zucchini and squash) and I can't wait to eat these awesome veggies that I've grown!  Hurry up, plants!  So I have a bunch of little buds and a bunch of little flowers on all of my plants, but few have actually started to fruit.  I guess I just need to do a little more research and be patient.  But I know one thing for sure: The plants know what they're doing, even if I don't.

2 comments:

  1. They look so awesome and healthy! You are watering them perfectly I'm so proud of you! I can't wait to eat them and then frolick all around with glee as my ears effortly flop to and fro in the wind, displaying my ultimate beagle satisfaction for all to see!!! Rawwwwrrrrrfffffff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thanks Pais. I'll post some pictures of you, too.

    ReplyDelete