Monday, August 4, 2014

Our first eggs!

I got home from work today, made a cup of coffee, and took it down to the chicken coop to hang out with the girls.  They were squawking and pecking at my toes and being especially rowdy.  At some point, I decided to check out the inside of the hen house, so I stuck my head halfway through the front door, looked to my right toward the nesting boxes, then looked to the left and saw... omg, what is that round thing?  It's an egg!  Omg, there's another one!  Our first two eggs!


Our two Amber Links (the white chickens) seem a little more mature than the other chickens, so I suspect they are the ones who laid the first two eggs today.  We're almost positive the hen house was eggless yesterday, which means two chickens are mature enough to lay.  The girls are only four months old, so we didn't think they would be laying until the fall.

Bernice, did you lay this egg?


What about you, Oneita?


You're supposed to lay them inside the nesting boxes!  I guess they did pretty good for their first eggs, even though they laid them in the wrong part of the hen house.


No comments:

Post a Comment